Sunday, June 14, 2015

Week One

Whew. It's been a whirlwind for sure! Week one threw everything it had at us. We dealt with camper families who were in the hospital, trying to get rid of bed bugs, mediating parent child disputes, and all while figuring out what exactly our role in camp is. Let me tell you though, our staff is amazing.

I can't say enough about how go with the flow, optimistic, smiley, and full of love for our youth that this year's staff has. Keep praying that they get the rest and recoup they need to keep serving. After a camp day from 8-1 they get just a couple hours for rest before spending a solid 3 hours in the community connecting with families each afternoon. Their schedule is intense and they have handled it beautifully. 

Our campers this year are another amazing group I want to brag on. They are beautiful, smart, sweet, sassy, FUNNY kiddos who make serving them easy. I love being greeted by smiles and hugs and touching base with kids throughout the day. 



Recently, I was talking with a girl I've known in for a while about what she wants to be when she grows up. She talked about being a doctor, engineer, police officer, and several other occupations. "I'm so smart. I see so many things that are wrong in the world and I just want topic it. I think I could fix some of those things..." To encourage her to keep that attitude and see how much self-worth she has now compared to even just last year made my whole day. 

Another little girl had chosen Bible as her fun Friday breakout activity. Half way through the first lesson she was ready to accept Jesus as her savior. A few staff pulled her aside to talk to her about her decision and then she taught us about the beauty of child-like faith. We look forward to more discipleship opportunities throughout the summer. 



There's also been a high schooler that I have known for a long time that I have gotten to get to know better in the past week. With some rough situational favored wearing him down, it's amazing to watch him still love to make others smile. He may never know the amount of hours that others that don't even know him doesn't praying for him and his family, but he praises God every day that he's alive. Providing him with meals, encouraging him to rest, and being a listening ear has been good for the both of us. My purpose here has been solidified: doing life with these youth and ministering to them through relationships. He was able to share the heavy load he was carrying and enjoy community of those who care about him. 

The week was really tough. There was a lot going on and we were still figuring out what we were supposed to be doing. BUT it's so worth it. I praise the Lord that I am so exhausted emotionally, spiritually, and physically. It means I put my all into the week and to see fruit already is huge blessing. Pray that we are able to keep rolling with the punches and able to minister by just living life alongside the people we work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment