Sunday, May 17, 2015

Overwhelmed by Blessings

What a great day today was. I finally started moving into the house marking the start of a full year of ministry in Clarkston to come. My awesome family has been amazing in helping with the move. I couldn't do it without them and Garrett, the best fiance there ever was. The day started early with my mom and I heading down early to get my new room clean and ready for the big furniture my dad would bring down later. Being the efficient and hardworking individuals that we are, we finished our part early and had time for a lunch break before my dad came down.

On the way to lunch, I was telling my mom the story of one youth I have gotten to know over the years. This particular youth has had a lot to overcome throughout their life and is now in a good place working on getting to an even better place. We happened to run into this youth at lunch and had a chance to talk with them for a while. After catching up a little they had one question for me: "Could you help me with my math homework?"

What a beautiful reminder that my ministry in Clarkston is so much more than programs and administrative work. I get to live in the same community as these people that I have so much passion for working with live life right alongside them. It's easy to say someone who travels across the world is a missionary or that someone who works at an orphanage or in a church is a missionary. I think it's so easy to forget that every relationship we build is a chance for discipleship. Something as simple as helping someone with their homework and spending the time with them can lead to something so much more, something with an eternal impact on someone's life.

I was overwhelmed by the thought that my job now is to help this youth with their homework. My job is to spend time with youth, know them, love them, and help them take a hold of the potential that they have. I get to facilitate a space for people to learn about the Kingdom, forgiveness, and how love and kindness. I have the best job in the whole world.

After a long day of moving and helping training up a new group of High School Helpers, it was off to a relaxing and enjoyable night at the future in-laws house for a graduation/engagement/going away party with Garrett and some of his good friends and their families. It was the icing on the cake to be able to share my heart for Clarkston with the people that are so important in Garrett's life. The support that I am surrounded by and that I literally cannot hide from is such a blessing. I know that many others in similar positions as me do not have the same level of encouragement and support that I do.

Thank you so much to all of you who have listened to my stories, come to visit camp, supported me financially, or encouraged me to keep moving forward. It's because of you that I have made it to where I am now and the people that I am able to serve and disciple are result of the amazing and overwhelming encouragement I have received from people like you. THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment