Monday, September 28, 2015

Early Morning Star Wars

So I'm sitting here with my cool friend who's a sweet, kind, patient camper that should be in school. We're hanging out FOR headquarters today because his mom and baby sister are downstairs with Refugee Family Literacy. His mom is in an English class and the baby is with the other babies being taken care of so mom can learn. My camper is in middle school though, he's much older than the other kids that are hanging out downstairs in the preschool. Why is he here you ask? After the class, we're headed to the clinic to get the baby checked out and that sweet, kind, patient big brother is along to translate. It's hard to totally agree with the situation. I wish this awesome son and big brother could be in school right now getting his educational needs met at the same time as his mom. Things don't always happen as they should though. As we sit here together in what we fondly call the Couch Room, I'm thankful for a few things. I'm thankful for a Kindle with access to Netflix so there is something for us to while we hang out for a few hours. I'm thankful the mom is finally receiving services she hasn't been able to get since she first came to America almost 2 years ago. I'm thankful that though life has been hard for this little family, they cling tight to each other and love each other in a way that you don't see everyday. Middle school boys aren't necessarily known for their love of babies, but this one genuinely loves his sister so much. He plays with her and sings to her and will do anything he can to make her smile. I wish he was in school today, but I know that helping make sure his little sister feels better soon is where he needs to be right now. To be honest, I look up to this kid. His character is impeccable and his devotion to his family is admirable. At camp, he's one who always listens, always helps, and always befriends those who need someone. I'm a little happy that he gets a bit of a day off from school. There's been a lot going on with his family and I think hanging out and watching Star Wars for the morning might be a much needed break from reality.

Also, I've been enlightened about all things Star Wars during our time together. It's always good to learn new things. I taught him what the word "clone" means and blew his mind. "Every day is a school day" he tells me.

Updates
This Thursday at our after school tutoring group we had a lot of fun. The wonderful Ms. Amy shared with us some great lessons about conductors and insulators. Conductors speed things up and insulators slow things down. We applied this to real life and talked about different things that are setting up the girls for success in work and things that are holding them back. The girls were really into it and all in all it was AWESOME.


This sweet girl had an ice cream sundae for the first time this past Thursday. My job can be so fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment