Monday, August 10, 2015

And then it was over...

At least camp is. We have officially completed out last day of camp for summer 2015. Camp season comes and goes, but there is so much in store for the next 10 months! The last week of camp is a really special one for us. We head out to Camp Westminster on Conyers for some extra fun. We climb rock walls, ride horses, swim, fish, kayak, and try out archery. The kids love getting the opportunity to stretch themselves by trying things they have never done before and our staff loves getting to take the week to lay back a little and just enjoy spending time with the kids we've come to love so much. I personally enjoyed hanging out wtih the first grade babies all week and getting to know them better. 
Just a taste of the Westminster fun.

Westminster week is also a special week because we get the chance to teach Bible stories more openly. During regular camp weeks, we are more careful about how we go about sharing the Gospel and teaching Bible stories because of the multiple cultures and religions represented at our camp. This last week, we notify parents that there will be more explicit teachings from the Bible and also tell the kids that there will be stories about Jesus. Some campers choose not to participate in the story time, but most of them do. The campers get to learn the God loves them, that He protects them, and that He forgives them. It is a really sweet time as we get the chance to talk more openly about our faith with the kids. No matter what their background is, Christian, Muslim, or Buddhist, there is value in having conversations about faith and scripture. Many of our campers had really good questions and received the stories well. 




The custest first grader fisher girl you've ever seen.



Proud first grader of his bull's eye.

How do you neatly wrap up 7 weeks of chaos and cat herding? I can say that I'm tired. Probably more than tired. Exhausted doesn't even seem strong enough of a word. So why do camp? I think one of our precious first graders summed it up best: "At camp we get to try things we've never done before. Sometimes it's scary and we're not good at it. But sometimes you find out you like something new." As a camper, my favorite part of camp was being in an environment where you could be anyone and try anything. For a week, it felt like reality was suspended and that I could try things I never would otherwise because camp is a safe bubble created to provide me with new opportunities to stretch and grow myself. As a camp co-director, I hope that our campers have that feeling at Summer Spectacular. I have also found that though my role has changed, camp is still a place for me to grow and change. I have learned about how I handle stress, my leadership style, the importance of communication, and how relationships work. It amazes me how much I learn from kids and staff every summer. 

Goofy first grader waiting for his turn on a horse.

Fearless first graders taking on the rock wall.

Saying good bye to campers and interns is never fun, but thanks to social media and my new Clarkston address, this year’s good byes were the easiest. Life in Clarkston doesn't stop here. My first stop was some R&R in Vermont (I was hoping to post this before then, but that didn’t work out). A week of clean, fresh air, fishing, and exploring with Grandmother did me good. I'm refreshed and ready to tackle what comes next. Soon, fall will be here with its cool weather, school, tutoring programs, and fundraising. Stay tuned to figure out how you can be involved to keep the camp spirit going through the school year. 



This is the Big Rock, a family landmark that every Buck has a picture with.

No comments:

Post a Comment