Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Leap Day


I'm ready for a new month. This February has been longer than most because of the leap year, and though it is the shortest month of the year it has been filled with more than it's share of rough patches. There were redeeming moments. The highs were high and the lows were low. Join with me a quick round of "sunnies and rainies," as we used to do in one of my small groups, and catch you up on my month.

Rainies
(I like to get the less fun parts over with first)

February started out like any other month except the team I'm ever so grateful for was stretched thin from day 1. Spending much needed time with family, away for personal heath reasons, and recruiting for interns around the southeast left at least one person missing each week.

Let me take a break here to brag on the team. They're top notch. Not only are they a personal encouragement to me on a daily basis that I am proud to work alongside, but they are honest, loyal, loving people who put their faith into action sacrificing themselves in so many ways to glorify the Lord in this place. We pray together. We love the community together. We struggle together. We win together. I couldn't do a fraction of what I do without them. 

When even one of the people on this dynamic team of staff, volunteers, leaders, and friends is missing, we can all feel their absence and the extra weight that they usually carry. We were all pulled in so many different directions this month (for extremely valid reasons) that I think it's possible we were pushed to limits we didn't know we had. As I look back on the month, I'm proud of each of us individually and the extra hours of work and brain power and emotional support that each one of us put in to make sure that the youth of Clarkston were loved and cared for and had a place to go and be invested in every single weeknight.

On top of that, life outside of ministry didn't let up. There was the loss of loved ones, surgeries, bronchitis, sinus infections, lice, and so many other stressors weighing us down. A few of us faced loneliness, questions of faith, and wounds we thought were healed that seemed to come open again. 

In ministry, we were missing members of leadership and gaining youth participants, which is a challenging blessing. At times, we were way outnumbered and it showed. There were issues with vans, paperwork, technology, and attitudes. There was a fire at the church facility we use daily, no one was harmed but the building is facing damages that we must work around. 

Maybe you can understand why I'm so ready for a new month. A fresh start. 

Sunnies
Playing Bananagrams at the couples shower
February wasn't a complete loss. There were some pretty redeeming moments. For example, my baby sister turned 18. My brother and sister-in-law got a new precious puppy. Garrett and I had our first wedding showers and signed a lease for our first apartment together. I got to connect with some of the coolest Covenant College students on a recruiting trip and catch up with sweet Ruth, good friend and previous intern. 

After returning from the recruiting trip to Tennessee, I got to see some youth at Friday night youth group after being away for almost two weeks for various reasons. Hearing that they missed me and wanted to know where I was made me feel missed and loved. It was a sweet encouragement for me after feeling pretty low about being away from them for so long. I love them so much and care for them so much it hurts sometimes...to know they care for me too is something pretty special and makes the time away seem more worthwhile. 

I've saved a special update for last. You'll really like this story. :) 

The sweet family I've had the honor and pleasure of transporting to school and English classes is doing great. In the past several months they have come from staying in a homeless shelter, to moving in with a friend, and now the mom has found a job and they are living in their own apartment near some family friends. I've loved being a part of their story and getting to know them better. I love the extra mom advice I would get on the way to English class about how rest and lemon tea would do me a world of good when I wasn't feeling well. I loved celebrating the highs and commiserating over the lows with the family. But now, though I miss seeing them twice a week, I'm so excited for their new chapter. I'm looking forward to visiting them in their new home soon. I hope that you will join me in praying for their hopeful, fruitful, abundant future in their new home.

Final Thoughts...
"You do not know now what I am doing, but someday you will" John 13:7

While the month was a rough one, I know the Lord is using those challenges to grow us and strengthen us. Someday we may look back and be thankful for the chance to persevere and persist. Right now, I know I'm ready to get my head above water again. Keep praying for us. Keep encouraging us. Keep being there for us when we are low. Keep celebrating the wins with us when we win. I'm so thankful for all of you.

Good bye, February. 

Bring it on, March. 

No comments:

Post a Comment